Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Inspiration


Dave Meek at Thunder Mesa Mining Co.  is sharing his structure plans with his readers. I'm not much of a wild west guy, but his is a really inspirational layout for me, because instead of trying to recreate the DRG&W, C&S, or a Maine 2 foot line in On30, it's based on fiction. It's also quite a change to look at warm Mesas instead of the tons of snow we have in Pennsylvania!

Big Thunder Saloon, Graphics by Dave Meek.


I chose 30" gauge (both O and HO scale) because frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. Model Railroading is supposed to be fun. Fun means different things to different people, and to me, the fun is building and detailing models. The Thunder Mesa Mining Company represents that, and it blends the science of modeling with art, creating a visually stunning, and fun displays. The railroad is based on Walt Disney's Big Thunder Mine attraction, so if you've ever been to the park, some of this might look familiar.
Dave lives the principle of:

Go build something Awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words, Rich. It means a lot coming from a modeler as skilled as you obviously are. I really like those little ore cars of yours. I imagine they'd look pretty good bobbing along behind a porter in Thunder Mesa Country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, you're too kind! The way you have blended art, graphics, and superb (and creative) modeling on your railroad and blog is top notch. The Thunder Mesa is truly an experience of visual candy. I hope to emulate that with the MCRR some day. I've got a little experience with graphic design, and I've been drawing for as long as I can remember, so when I saw your RR, I said "THAT!" I'd love to see my ore cars on your layout! That would be an honor!

      Delete