Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Late to the party

Skeleton kit with girly chain
I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, and while I may be late to the party, I prefer to think of myself as being fashionably late. Fashion isn't something that I'm necessarily known for, with my combat boots, and realtree hat, but I digress...

Yesterday I was returning a product to AC Moore (Castn Craft mold release...don't buy it...it sucks) and since I had time, I figured I would "drip" around and see if I could find anything useful, and I did. In the bead/jewelry section I found myself very much out of place among tween girls and aging hippies, but I found chain. It's a little over scale, at about 14 LPI, with links scaling to around 4" long, but I didn't see anything smaller. It was $4.49 for 2 meters (6.5 feet), which is cheaper than 1 foot of chain from a model railroad supplier. Of course, it's shiny which won't do for us, so I dipped it in PCB Etchant for about an hour, and then dunked the whole works in a mason jar full of clean water. When it dried off (on a paper towel) it turned into a beautifully rusted pile of junk. The results can be seen in the picture. The more orange chain is how it looks coming out of the bath. 

While some people may say the rusted chain looks great, and I won't argue with that, it doesn't look like a chain that is used all day, every day. Iron chain that sits in your shed without oil will look like that, or maybe just a tad redder, but chain that is used constantly doesn't have lots of surface rust. So, I hit the chain with some odorless oil thinner (the kind artists use) and applied black, dark red rust, and dark earth colored Bradgon Weathering Powders.

Whether or not you choose to use girly fashion chain is up to you, but "Black" chain is just about as unrealistic as "Bling".

Go build something awesome

2 comments: